Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Niagara Falls – Welland – Southern Niagara Region
- St. Catharines – Grimsby – Northern Niagara Region
A period of very cold wind chills is expected.
A strong cold front has crossed southern Ontario ushering in much colder temperatures. The combination of cold temperatures and light winds will produce wind chills of minus 30 to minus 35 early this morning.
While anyone who isn’t dressed warmly is at risk in cold weather conditions, some are at greater risk than others for frost bite and hypothermia:
- homeless people
- outdoor workers
- people living in homes that are poorly insulated (with no heat or no power)
- people with certain medical conditions such as diabetes, peripheral neuropathy and diseases affecting the blood vessels, people taking certain medications including beta-blockers
- winter sport enthusiasts
- people who consume excess alcohol
- infants and
Wear appropriate clothing.
- Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
- Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
- Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
- If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you’re wet.
Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
Forecast for Niagara:
Today a mix of sun and cloud. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h late this afternoon. High minus 13. Wind chill minus 30 this morning.
Mainly cloudy. Periods of snow beginning late this evening. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind southwest 30 km/h. Temperature rising to minus 6 by morning.
Periods of snow ending early in the afternoon then mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Amount 2 cm. Local blowing snow late in the evening. Wind southwest 30 km/h becoming light early in the morning. Wind becoming northwest 30 gusting to 50 early in the afternoon. Temperature falling to minus 13 in the afternoon.
A mix of sun and cloud. Windy. Low minus 22. High minus 17.
Sunny. Low minus 21. High minus 11.
Cloudy with 40 percent chance of snow. Low minus 12. High minus 6.
A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 10. High minus 7.
A mix of sun and cloud. Windy. Low minus 14. High minus 7.
To receive similar updates, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca