What is feng shui?
Feng shui is an ancient art and science developed over 3,000 years ago in China. It is a complex body of knowledge that reveals how to balance the energies of any given space to assure health and good fortune for people living in it. Color is one of the easiest ways to shift the energy in your home or office in order to create good feng shui. However, working with color can be a bit tricky .
While finding the right feng shui colors for your space is really easy – as you can see in the suggested best feng shui colors list below - it might take a bit of work to make a specific color work harmoniously in your space.
Color is alive and its good feng shui presence in your home or office is dependant on many factors, two of the main ones being the quality of light in your home and the surrounding colors in your home decorating.
The feng shui color tips here will help you define your main color scheme in order to create good energy, and then be sure to play and experiment until you find that very right color for your home!
Best Feng Shui Color Choices are Based on the 5 Elements Feng Shui Theory
In feng shui, each color is considered to be an expression of one of the 5 feng shui elements: Fire, Earth, Metal, Water, and Wood. Each of these 5 elements “governs” a specific area of your home (according to the feng shui energy map of your space called bagua). When your choice of color is focused on strengthening and nourishing the feng shui element of the area you are decorating, this results in good feng shui energy.
This feng shui colour guide will help you choose best colours to create a harmonious feng shui home.
Choose the feng shui colors according to the energy you need and bring them into your space with wall color, art, photography, or various decor items.
FIRE ELEMENT – PASSION AND HIGH ENERGY. A balanced fire feng shui element in your home or office will bring supporting energy to all your career efforts and will help achieve recognition. Fire element also nourishes one’s sexual energy and inner warmth.
- Fire is the dominant feng shui element of South bagua area of your home or office.
- Northeast and Southwest feng shui areas also benefit from good fire element energy.
- Fire feng shui element colours are:
- Strong Yellow
EARTH ELEMENT – NOURISHMENT AND STABILITY. A strong and harmonious feng shui earth element in your home or office will help create stability, nourishment and calm protection for all your relationships. The earth element is also needed to maintain one’s health and inner balance.
- Earth is the main feng shui element of Northeast and Southwest bagua areas.
- The Center of your home and office is also governed by the earth feng shui element.
- Feng shui earth element colors are:
- Light Yellow
- Beige/Skin Color
- Earthy/Sandy Colors
METAL ELEMENT – CLARITY AND PRECISENESS. Feng shui metal element brings the qualities of sharpness, precision and efficiency; its balanced presence will help you live with clarity and lightness. A good presence of metal element in your home or office will help sustain the energy of calm, crisp clarity and eliminate distractions.
- Metal is the dominant feng shui element of West and Northwest bagua areas.
- North bagua area of your home or office also benefits from the presence of metal element.
- Feng shui metal element colors are:
WATER ELEMENT – EASE AND ABUNDANCE. A harmonious feng shui water element will bring a refreshing energy of calm, ease, purity and freshness. Water element is also the ancient symbol of abundance, thus a potent feng shui cure for wealth.
- Water is the feng shui element of North bagua area of your home or office.
- East and Southeast bagua areas also benefit from a strong water element.
- Feng shui water element colors are:
WOOD ELEMENT – GROWTH AND VITALITY. Lush and healing, the feng shui wood element brings the energy of vibrant health, vitality and growth. Wood element is also an expression of abundance, thus it is used as a feng shui cure for wealth and prosperity.
- Wood is the feng shui element of the East and Southeast bagua areas of your home.
- South bagua area also benefits from a strong presence of wood element.
- Feng shui wood element colors are:
So, there you have it, the basic feng shui color guide to help you create a happy and healthy home. Colour is like music, nourishing and uplifting, and the more colours you harmoniously absorb throughout the day, the higher your sense of well-being. Do not be afraid to bring vibrant colors into your space as color is light, and light is our number one nutrient.