Members of Emterra Group, Niagara Region’s waste and recycling collection contractor, visited the Walker Family Cancer Centre to kick off year four of the “Make Your Contribution at the CurbTM!” Challenge.
The challenge is a first-of-its-kind initiative in Canada that pairs raising funds for the regional Walker Family Cancer Centre with environmental awareness and waste diversion in Niagara Region. For every tonne of blue and grey box recyclables collected from Niagara residents and for every tire recycled at Emterra’s Eco Depot Events, Emterra contributes $1 to OneFoundation for Niagara Health System in support of the cancer centre.
The more residents recycle, the larger the donation to the Walker Family Cancer Centre. This year, a cheque for $39,773 was presented on Friday to OneFoundation based on 2014’s recycling tonnage, bringing the total donated so far to nearly $160,000.
Highlights of the Walker Family Cancer Centre include:
- 67,000 square feet in which to provide quality, patient-centred care that enhances the treatment and quality of life for cancer patients and their families in the Niagara region
- Radiation treatment suites
- 37 chemotherapy infusion bays and chairs
- 3 specialized infusion rooms for patients who require isolation for infection prevention and control purposes
- Floor to ceiling windows in the chemotherapy treatment area; a home-like welcoming environment.
- A healing garden and many green features
Services provided at the Walker Family Cancer Centre:
- Radiation Therapy
- Outpatient Clinics
- Supportive Care
- Clinical Trials
- Clinical Staff Offices
- Oncology Pharmacy
- Surgical consultation
- Diagnostic Lung Assessment Program
- Palliative Care
- Smoking Cessation
Main Picture On Top: (from left) is Emterra Group VP of Operations Brian Gogo and VP of Corporate Strategy Paulina Leung, Walker Family Cancer Centre Clinical Manager Bonnie Van Veen, NHS Medical Director of Oncology Dr. Janice Giesbrecht, OneFoundation for NHS Interim Director of Fundraising Peter McKinley and Board Member Anne Atkinson.
For More Information: Niagara Health System
To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca