Getting the home office right is more important than ever right now as many of us have to work from home. The good news is that with a few considerations you can create a functional space now and also have one that will serve you well in the future. Here are some top tips to make it happen!
First and foremost, local organizing pro, Bob Fraser from Closets by Design Niagara says to assess your particular work needs plus your personality.”You want your office to be a productive space, for you and your individual needs. It also should inspire you, keep you focused and of course, organized.”
Fraser says it all starts with good planning. Let’s explore.
WHAT KIND OF SPACE DO YOU NEED?
Are you a person who has needs an open space plan to feel creative or are you usually on the phone and need a quiet office area that is privacy oriented? Whatever your goals are, there are plenty of options.
Once you’ve figured out what kind of office space you want to have, it’s time to think about the foundational elements and organizational accessories that can accomplish your goals.
GET THE RIGHT DESK SETUP
The foundation to any great home office will be a well placed, well laid out desk. Consider:
For some, having their desk face the wall is their preferred direction as it limits distractions the most, however, it also give the feeling of being closed off from the rest of the room and most people prefer a desk that faces the door so they can monitor visitors easily and feel more in control of their space.
Rather than putting a desk in the centre of the room, you may also want to consider placing it in a corner so that you can maximize your space.
Says Fraser, “Though some say otherwise, there’s really no universal right answer for everyone when figuring out desk placement in an office. If possible I do recommend positioning a desk by a window though because it can provide mood boosting sunlight and the changing view outside can help your brain take a break between tasks.”
Picking the Desk
How will you use your desk? What kind of equipment do you need to access regularly? Different types of desks have different functions.
· Writing desk: These feature a large, clear surface area. Ideal for paperwork or using a laptop computer.
· Computer desk: Designed with computers in mind, these styles often have pull-out keyboard platforms, wiring organizers and cubbies for CPUs.
· Executive desk: Stylish and sophisticated, these desks often incorporate large surface areas and plenty of drawers to create the ideal accessory for a classic study.
· Secretary desk: A compact, elegant writing bureau for occasional use, these desks often feature simple legs and built-in storage slots or drawers on the desktop.
-Customized solutions that can be a combination of the above, or a unique creation that works perfectly in your home office space.
SPACE THINGS PROPERLY
Proper dimensions for a desk are crucial in a room for its functionality. Here are a few top considerations:
· Doors: Make sure there is space for doors to open fully when the desk is in place.
· Windows: Place the desk somewhere you can limit sun glare on your monitor and light in your eyes while you’re reading.
· Electrical outlets: If you’re using electrical items, consider the position of the desk in relation to the outlets to keep cables corralled.
· Room to move: Try to leave at least 3.5′ of space behind the desk for pulling out a chair and sitting down comfortably.
DESKS BY SHAPE AND FUNCTION
Desks come in many shapes and sizes, including regular, corner style, floating and credenza desks. Your room size and preferences will dictate the one that works for you.
Ergonomics is the science of designing products that function with the human body, ensuring comfort and functionality while minimizing back pain and repetitive strains. For a work desk, ergonomic considerations include:
· Leg clearance: Most desk surfaces are standardized at 28″–30″ from the floor, which typically works for people who are between 5’6″ and 5’11″. The general guideline is to choose a desk height that feels comfortable and lets your hands rest flat on the surface when your elbows are down at your sides and bent at a 90-degree angle.
· Monitor position: A computer monitor should be 20″–30″ from your face, with the top of the monitor level with your eye height.
· Keyboard height: A keyboard on top of a regular desk may be too high for your comfort. Many computer desks have a pull-out keyboard shelf to position the keyboard level with your elbows while sitting. This ensures your forearms are straight while typing for greater comfort.
· Work surface: Important items or those you use frequently, like filing trays or pen cups, should be within arm’s reach.
· A desk chair: For maximum comfort, consider a desk chair with armrests to support your elbows, good lumbar support to keep your back feeling great, adjustable height settings and a swivel action that makes it easier to reach objects in any direction. Chairs with rollers can come in handy for moving around freely as well.
Different materials influence the appearance of a desk and help you express your personal style. For example, dark woods provide a classic, timeless look, while metal and glass have a clean, modern vibe. Also keeping the colour palette light makes it airy and spacious, while heavier colours give warmth and coziness.
Customizing your desk with the accessories you need will make your office a joy to be in and overall your workflow more productive. Consider Things like bookshelves, floating shelves, or lower desk cabinets to conceal home office supplies and technology.
WHEN YOUR HOME OFFICE HAS DUAL PURPOSES
Many of us do not have the luxury of a dedicated room for a home office.
If you’re tight on space, consider creating a dual purpose room. Whether a guest room or bedroom, a Murphy bed solution is ideal so you have a bed to sleep in at night and an office to work in during the day. The Murphy bed is a great solution where the bed folds up and into the wall when not in use.
As mentioned, factoring in sunlight is an important consideration to a home office with a window. For artificial light consider lampshades that soften and scatter otherwise harsh light and make a room more relaxing to be in.
STORAGE AND ORGANIZATION IS KEY TO PRODUCTIVITY
Make sure when you put all of the elements of your home office together that it works for you. Prioritize organizational space for maximum work enjoyment and productivity!
Says Fraser: “It’s so important to have ample space for storage and organization in your home office because mess equals stress. Reducing stress and being more productive is a big reason for designing a home office in the first place. ”
LET CLOSETS BY DESIGN NIAGARA HELP WITH YOUR HOME OFFICE
Ready to see how you can kick your productivity into high gear? Custom-designed, affordable home offices from Closets by Design Niagara is one of their specialities. They have a huge range of style and budgetary options and the best thing? The first step is absolutely free…an in home design consultation with a designer (with virtual options available during this time).
Just fill out the form HERE to get the process started with no obligation OR give the friendly Niagara on the Lake team a call at: 289-768-8975.
SPRING SALE ON NOW
It’s the best time of the year to give your home office the promotion it deserves! Incredible spring savings are on now at Closets By Design Niagara (up to 55% off), free installation and financing options that will ensure that it is a personalized solution no matter what your needs.
There is a lot that goes into perfecting the home office solution. Sometimes getting professional assistance and a customized solution is one of the best investments you can make in work productivity and the beauty of your home at the same time! Stay well and stay safe everyone!!
ABOUT CLOSETS BY DESIGN NIAGARA
Closets By Design Niagara specialize in custom closets and home offices and make everything to order in their Niagara-on-the-Lake factory on time and on budget.
CALL NOW FOR A FREE VIRTUAL DESIGN CONSULTATION: 289-768-8975 Or Visit the Link to Fill Out a Quick Online Request Form here: Closets By Design Niagara
SERVING SOUTHERN ONTARIO FROM KITCHENER & WATERLOO TO NIAGARA FALLS AND ALL CITIES IN-BETWEEN
ANCASTER BURLINGTON GUELPH HAMILTON KITCHENER MILTON NIAGARA FALLS OAKVILLE ST CATHARINES