Premier Doug Ford says the state of emergency, that was declared under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act  will now expire on Tuesday Feb. 9th.

 

The government declared a state of emergency after a surge in COVID-19 cases in the new year threatened to overwhelm the province’s healthcare system. If the order wasn’t extended, it would have expired on Tuesday at 12:01 a.m.

The extension was widely expected after Ford said on Jan. 12 the state of emergency and stay-at-home order would be in effect for 28 days.

Ontarians caught violating the stay-at-home order could face a fine and prosecution under the Reopening Ontario Act and the EMPCA.

Outdoor organized public gatherings and social gatherings are further restricted to a limit of five people under the stay-at-home order.

Last week, Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams said the province would need to see daily COVID-19 cases fall to the 1,000 mark before the lockdown orders can be lifted.

On Monday, Ontario reported fewer than 1,958 new COVID-19 cases, which is a decrease from Sunday when 2,417 infections were logged.

With 35,968 tests for the disease processed in the last 24-hour period, Ontario’s COVID-19 positivity rate stands at 5.5 per cent.  For more information, visit the government’s website HERE.

 

 To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca

 

 

Let us know what you think!