We hear about detoxing and its importance a lot these days. Because of all the toxins we are exposed to in the modern world, it is something that is encouraged by many…but is it really necessary?
Practiced for centuries by cultures around the world — including ayurvedic and Chinese medicine systems — detoxification is about resting, cleaning and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health according to health experts.
So to start with let’s take a look at some of the symptoms you MAY be experiencing if you have a toxin build up:
Irritated skin Allergies
Puffy eye or bags under the eyes
Bloating Menstrual problems
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Basically, detoxification means cleaning the blood. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. However, when this system is compromised, impurities aren’t properly filtered and every cell in the body is adversely affected. A detox program can help the body’s natural cleansing process by:
1. Resting the organs through fasting;
2. Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body;
3. Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys and skin;
4. Improving circulation of the blood; and
5. Refueling the body with healthy nutrients.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I DETOX?
So if you have decided this is a route that you want to try, how often should you be detoxing? Experts that support the importance of detoxification suggest that everyone should detox at least once a year. However, this does not apply to nursing mothers, children, and patients with chronic degenerative diseases, cancer or tuberculosis. Consult your health care practitioner if you have questions about whether detoxing is right for you.
WHERE DO I BEGIN??
First, lighten up your toxin load by getting rid of the obvious: Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fats, all of which act as toxins in the body and are obstacles to your healing process. Also, minimize use of chemical-based household cleaners and personal health care products (cleansers, shampoos, deodorants and toothpastes), and substitute natural alternatives.
Another deterrent to good health is stress, which triggers your body to release stress hormones into your system. Try to get in some physical activity and mental relaxation to counter the effects of stress.
THE DETOX OPTIONS
There are many detoxification programs and detox recipes, depending on your individual needs. Many programs follow a 7-day schedule which gives the body time to clean the blood. Five popular detox diets include:
1. Simple Fruit and Veggie Detox
2. Smoothie cleanse
3. Juice Cleanse
4. Sugar Detox
5. Hypoallergenic Detox
MORE DETOX IDEAS
After a detoxification program, you can cleanse your body daily with these diet, supplements and lifestyle practices:
1. Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
2. Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea. 3. Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
4. Drink at least two quarts of water a day.
5. Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
6. Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
7. Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
8. Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
9. Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
10. What is the most important way to detoxify? EXERCISE say the experts!!
Consult your doctor before using any health treatment — including herbal supplements and natural remedies — and tell your doctor if you have a serious medical condition or are taking any medications. The information presented here is for educational purposes only and is in no way intented as substitute for medical counseling.