Beer is the world’s most widely consumed alcoholic beverage and the third-most popular drink overall (after water and tea).
Here in Canada we are no stranger to its charms with brands Canadian ranking in as our #1 domestic choice and Heineken as our #1 imported favourite.
But that being said, despite its wide appeal, there are still lots of interesting facts about beer that you probably DON’T know that we thought we’d share with you here (because who doesn’t need a bit more trivia to throw around the water cooler)?!
1. Did you know Amsterdam pays alcoholics in beer? For cleaning the city streets, local alcoholics get 10 Euros, half a packet of rolling tobacco and 5 beers as payment by a government-funded organization.
2. Beer is one of the world’s oldest prepared beverages, possibly dating back to the early Neolithic or 9500 BC.
3. The world´s strongest beer is Brewmeister´s Snake Venom“. While regular beer usually have about 5% ABV (alcohol by volume), this Scottish creation killer has 67.5% ABV!
4. Beer prevents kidney stones. A study published in American Journal of Epidemiology estimated that a bottle of beer consumed every day reduces the risk by 40%.
5. Beer commercials aren’t really allowed to show people actually drinking the beer in North America. It’s a law that people cannot actually be shown consuming an alcoholic beverage on television.
6. The study of beer and beer-making even has an official scientific name – zythology. It derives from the Greek words “zythos” (beer) and “logos” (study).
7. The most beer-drinking country in the world is the Czech Republic with a per capita beer consumption of almost 40 gallons a year (translation A LOT)
8. The world´s most expensive beer is Belgian’s “Vielle Bon Secours“. One bottle costs around 1000 American dollars.
9. Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass. (YIKES…there’s a name for that?!!)
10. The first professional brewers were all women called brewsters. The women had to be very beautiful to be able to become brewsters.
Has all this beer talk got you in the mood for a cool one all of a sudden? Why not check out local pub Doc Magilligan’s in Niagara Falls that have a great selection of your favourites, plus an authentic Irish atmosphere to enjoy them in that was recently overhauled !
The pub just celebrated their first year anniversary and have a couple of contests that all you beer aficionados will appreciate including one that is an amazing trip to Ireland! To find out the details click here and the winners will be announced during Doc Magilligan’s St. Paddy Party on March 17 at their 6400 Lundy’s Lane, Niagara Falls, Ontario location. Cheers!!
SOURCE. list 25, Doc Magilligan’s