Prince who was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis home died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl his autopsy results confirmed yesterday. Fentanyl is a powerful opioid painkiller that is up to 50 times more potent than heroin.
At least one person close to him has said he suffered from intense knee and hip pain from many years of stage performances. This may have necessitated pain relief but it is not clear whether Prince had a prescription for the drug.
According to a report released by the Medical Examiner’s Office, Prince administered the drug himself on an unknown date. The office said the death investigation is complete.
Illegally distributing fentanyl to someone who then dies from it is punishable by a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years under federal law. Under Minnesota law, the same actions can result in third-degree murder charges and up to 25 years in prison.
The names of at least two doctors have come up in the death investigation.
Ironically, Prince had a reputation that was that of clean living and some friends have commented that they had never seen any sign of drug use.
To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca