Emergency crews were called to the scene yesterday following an early Sunday morning fire just after 5:00 am  at 70 Queenston Street and a  woman was treated for smoke inhalation.


According to officials at the scene,  it was a hoarding situation with excessive combustibles, but no structural damage.  This resulted in a lot of smoke but not fire.

Fire crews quickly extinguished the small,  blaze and the home is now vacated, except to the rear. There was no visible fire damage to the exterior of the building, which is located near Church St.

Two tenants in the three-unit apartment home were displaced by the blaze. It is not known when they can return.

A resident in a unit at the back of the building — which was taped off early Sunday morning — was unaffected by the smoke and remains there.

St. Catharines fire investigators were on the scene and the Ontario Fire Marshall’s office also called and at this point it is not known if the blaze was caused by careless smoking or an electrical issue.

The investigation continues today.

To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca

Let us know what you think!