Just a reminder that this is the weekend where you will LOSE an hour of sleep as we roll our clocks forward for daylight saving time. The “spring forward” officially starts Sunday at 2 a.m.
POINTS TO PONDER
Here are some facts to consider during your extra hour of being awake:
- In 1908, Thunder Bay became the first location in Canada to use DST.
- Not all places in Canada observe DST, including most of Saskatchewan, some communities in British Columbia, Northwestern Ontario, Quebec and Nunavut.
- Daylight savings time is used in only about 70 countries worldwide, primarily in North America and Europe.
- Germany became the first country to introduce DST when clocks were turned ahead one hour on April 30, 1916 in an effort to save energy during the First World War.
- Not all countries follow the one hour adjustment. In Lord Howe Island, Australia, clocks are set only 30 minutes ahead from LHST (UTC+10:30) to LHDT (UTC+11) during DST.
On the up side….spring is coming!
To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca