A family in Welland is grateful that their carbon monoxide detector went off and saved them from dangerous fumes within their home.


Welland residents Jackie and Wayne Muise say on Jan. 28, they were home with the rest of their family when the alarm went off and they called 911 right away.

Emergency services responded quickly say the couple and in a release sent out by Welland Fire and Emergency Services, deputy fire Chief Adam Eckhart said when crews arrived on scene, their gas detectors gave off a reading of 24 parts per million. Those levels should be avoided or limited.

It was determined that the cause of the carbon monoxide was the family’s gas stove, which was giving off readings of 40 parts per million.

Gas company representatives attended the scene later and the stove (which was reported as being only 7 years old) was disconnected, capped and deemed unusable.

As for the Muise family, they say they are going to make a switch to an electric appliance instead.

This story is more evidence of the importance of having your home properly fitted with the appropriate smoke alarm and carbon monoxide devices.  Below is more information from the Welland Fire Deprtment’s website:

Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Alarms
Smoke Alarms: Remember, it’s the law in Ontario to have working smoke alarms on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. You may have just seconds to safely escape a fire in your home. That’s why early detection of fire is absolutely vital. Only working smoke alarms provide those precious seconds you and your family need to safely escape.
Homeowners: must install and maintain smoke alarms on every storey of their home and outside sleeping areas.

Landlords: must ensure their rental properties comply with the law.

Tenants: contact your landlord immediately if you do not have the required number of smoke alarms. It is against the law for tenants to remove the batteries or tamper with the alarm in any way.

Failure to comply with the Fire Code smoke alarm requirements could result in a ticket for $360 or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals or $100,000 for corporations.

Visit the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services website for valuable information on:
Installing and Maintianing your smoke alarms
Plan your escape
Handle nuisance alarms
Public Service Announcements
Carbon Monoxide Alarms: Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as ’The Silent Killer.’ You can’t see it, taste it or smell it. The only way to detect the presence of the deadly gas is to install a carbon monoxide alarm.
In October 2014, the Ontario Government formally enacted a new law making carbon monoxide alarms mandatory in all Ontario homes at risk of CO. After April 15, 2015 those buildings with less than six residential units must obey by law or risk penalties. This revision to the Ontario Fire Code, supersedes any existing municipal by-laws. Now, no matter the age of your home, if you have any oil, propane or gas-burning appliances, furnace or water heater, a wood or gas fireplace, or an attached garage, you must have working carbon monoxide alarms installed near sleeping areas.

Symptoms of CO Exposure

Early symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea and fatigue and are often mistaken for the flu. Carbon monoxide is known to disorient its victims and is most dangerous when people are sleeping and fail to wake up or realize they are at risk. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to brain damage and death.

Visit the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services website for valuable information on:
CO alarm installation requirements
How to prevent it
CO alarm tips
CO questions and answers

 To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca

Let us know what you think!