Niagara Regional Police say a male has been arrested on drug and gun charges in St. Catharines.
In April of 2023, 1 District Street Crime Detectives with the Niagara Regional Police Service began an investigation into the illegal sale of drugs.
As a result of the investigation, detectives were able to identify a male suspect.
On January 31, 2024, detectives arrested the suspect in the area of Queenston Street and Welland Avenue in the City of St. Catharines. Detectives were then granted a search warrant for the suspects vehicle and seized the following:
- Loaded handgun
- 193.8 grams of fentanyl
- $660 Canadian dollars
- 1 Oxycodone pill
- Total street value: $42,636
Biniam H. HABTAMU (27 years old) of Toronto, Ontario was arrested and charged with the following offences:
- Possess prohibited firearm without holding a licence
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle
- Possession of a prohibited firearm knowingly not holding a licence
- Careless storage of a firearm
- Possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5,000
- Possess schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking
HABTAMU was held in custody pending a video bail hearing that is expected to take place on February 1, 2024 at the Robert S.K. Welch Courthouse located at 59 Church Street in the City of St. Catharines.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the investigating officers by calling 905-688-4111, option 3, extension 1009130.
Members of the public who wish to provide information anonymously can contact Crime Stoppers of Niagara online or by calling 1-800-222-8477. Crime Stoppers offers cash rewards to persons who contact the program with information which leads to an arrest.
Niagara Regional Police Service
5700 Valley Way
Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 1X8