Brief, intense snowfall is expected. Visibilities will be rapidly reduced due to the heavy snow combined with blowing snow. A band of very heavy snow will impact the Niagara region this morning before moving out of the region. Accumulations of up to 10 cm are likely by noon. Travel is expected to be hazardous due to reduced visibility in some locations. Visibility may be significantly and suddenly reduced to near zero. Snow squall warnings are issued when bands of snow form that produce intense accumulating snow or near zero visibilities. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada.
WHAT IS A SNOW SQUALL WARNING?
Open-water Snow Squall Warning issued when, down wind of large bodies of water, like the Great Lakes, snow squalls are imminent or occurring with one or more of the following conditions being produced:
- Localized, intense snowfall producing snowfall amounts of 15 cm or more in 12 hours or less.
- Reduced visibility (less than 400 metres) caused by heavy snow with or without blowing snow for 3 hours or more.
Note that local snow accumulations may be significant.
Frontal Snow Squall Warning issued when there is a brief period (less than one hour) of very poor visibility (400 metres or less), caused by heavy snow and blowing snow, and accompanied by strong, gusty winds of 45 km/hr or greater, is expected to occur with the passage of a cold front.
Now taking a look at the extended forecast for the region:
Snow at times heavy and snow squalls changing to a few flurries near noon. Local blowing snow. Local amount 10 cm. Wind southwest 50 km/h gusting to 70. High minus 1 with temperature falling to minus 5 this afternoon.
Flurries. Local blowing snow. Local amount 2 cm. Wind west 60 km/h gusting to 80 diminishing to 40 gusting to 60 after midnight. Low minus 9.
A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries changing to 70 percent chance of flurries in the afternoon. Wind west 20 km/h gusting to 40 except gusting to 60 near Lake Erie in the morning. High minus 7.
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Windy. Low minus 7.
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. High minus 2.
Cloudy periods with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 2.
A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. High plus 4.
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Low plus 2.
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. High plus 2.
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Windy. Low minus 4.
To receive similar content, “Like” us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/niagarabuzz.ca